The Italian Multidisciplinary Working Group on Syncope (GIMSI) was established on November 12th, 2003 as a multidisciplinary working group of some major Italian scientific societies: AIAC, AINV/SNO, FADOI, SIGG, SIMEU, SIMI.
GIMSI is a no-profit association gathering specialists in cardiology, internal medicine, geriatric, neurology and emergency medicine, devoted in their daily clinical practice to the clinical and experimental study of syncope.
GIMSI has the following main objectives:
- Support the aggregation, collaboration and exchange of scientific knowledge between different specialists in the field of syncope.
- Facilitate the constitution and organization of multidisciplinary facilities dedicated to syncope (“Syncope Unit”) among Italian hospitals and certify their adherence to the guidelines recommended standards
Moreover, GIMSI aims to the following goals:
- To interact with the main associations and study groups;
- To undertake training activities, such as continuing educational courses, dedicated to physicians and health-care professionals who work in the field of syncope;
- To represent a reference point for clinical practice and management of syncope;
- To develop guidelines for an appropriate diagnostic and therapeutic process
- To promote multicentre studies, alone or jointly with other Organizations;
- To disseminate new evidence in the syncope field promoting conferences, training courses and other events;
- To facilitate the cooperation between National Health Service and other structures devoted to the study of syncope.